Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Fanny's Quilt

Fanny in NY 1941
My paternal grandmother passed away recently and I'm not alone in missing her.  Her family and friends have had so very many lovely stories and remembrances of her that I decided to make a memory quilt in her honor.   I was first going to use her clothing (of which there was 3 carloads brought to goodwill besides those we distributed to family) or her silk and satin scarfs... but I decided that since I had people sign a plane white fabric rectangle at the first memorial service in Virgina, I wanted to choose fabric from my stash and make a more cohesive look. After all not only was my grandmother the original fashionista, I just couldn't bring myself to cut into anything!

So I had my colors and I had already drawn up a pattern that used a Fan Quilt block as it's star.  Now it was just time bite the bullet and make it happen!
So what fabric to choose.... this was a wonderful opportunity to think about what colors, patterns and styles that really spoke to me when I think about my darling Grandma Fan.  In the end, the choice was so obvious to me I don't know why I didn't think of it sooner: Red, White and Blue.  Grandma loved the Fourth of July.  She was proud to be the daughter of Joseph C. Baldwin and all that entailed and would make a cake decorated like the American flag and change out the wreaths on the front door to something patriotic every year.  And if there was a parade, you know she would be right in front cheering it on and waving a flag.

Since my husband I married, we seem to have thrown a Fourth of July party every year and I like to think that one day my grandchildren will celebrate the holidays with us and I can pull out this quilt and share stories of the amazing women who predeceased them.  I know reading the kind words that everyone has included in the quilt has helped me heal and I truly look forward to bringing the quilt with me when I visit other friends and family who knew Grandma Fan and having them contribute their thoughts.

So, what's left.... I have to find and buy more of the same white fabric and do some more sewing!!!  

Here is to you Grandma Fan!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Messages are moderated by Christine and Dingus (when he is not barking at the neighbors shenanigans that is)