Sunday, January 2, 2011

A simple Quilt with a taste of Tree a 9 patch block composition

I happen to love the 9 patch block. I adore that I can showcase fabrics, use up scraps and put them together in a myriad of ways to create a fascinating variety of pieces. It's simplicity can be used to accent a more complex block or it can be used in conjunction with a solid color or accent fabric block to give a piece more interest. I could go on and on about this block process, and no doubt I will in another post when I create again :) But for now I'd like to introduce to you a quilt I made for my mother as a housewarming gift last Thanksgiving 2009.

I chose fabrics in various fall colors and stripes and used this amazingly soft green fabric that I had in my stash and have no idea from whence it came unfortunately as I would otherwise rush out for more.

Here is a picture of the quilt laid out on my bed as I was basting the layers together.

... I should note here that this was at my last house and I'm not proud at how messy my bedside tables are or that I never found the 'right' picture to hang over the bed there.  So ignore all that and focus on the pretty please :)







One detail you can't tell from the full size pictures very well is that I had fussy-cut and appliquéd  tiny leaves to the tree branch.  I had played with the idea of having some drift down like they were falling but opted not to (this time) because I wanted this quilt to be able to be viewed horizontally or vertically depending on whichever way my mother decided suited her.

This turned out to be a wise choice as she ended up hanging it on the wall horizontally and if I had appliquéd the leaves as falling I would have done so from the vertical position thus defying the laws of gravity and thus endangering my marriage as Patrick feels very strongly about such things (wink)!

The end result, after I quilted and bound it was amazing. And I am happy to say my mother and Linda LOVED it.  I asked them to pretty pretty please let me have a picture of them holding it.  And then I amended that request to ask them to be silly in said picture.  This is the result, I love that my mom went all out for that photo and Linda obviously had no clue she was doing so!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Messages are moderated by Christine and Dingus (when he is not barking at the neighbors shenanigans that is)