Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Aliens, Dinosaurs, and Robot's - Oh' My!!!!

A quilt challenge was born when 2 crazy friends decided to decorate their nursery with dinosaurs, robots and aliens.   And lets face it, I'm always up for a challenge!

My dear friend Emily found a super cute fleece  for us to use for the backing and as a jumping off point.  Then I invited her over to help design and cut!  Truthfully I'm not sure she realized what she was getting herself into!  But we had a lot of fun coming up with the quilt design above.  Her scrapbooking skills came strongly into play with picking out colors and coordinating such very different design elements.



Once I appliquéd and pieced all the pieces together I decided that while I really wanted to use the variegated blue thread for the back and on the gray, I was not thrilled with that color for the starry-bye background.  So I switched to having that area quilted separably in a very pretty yellow.  More work for me, but well worth it for the final result.







Then I used the same quilting along the outside border but in straight line quilting rather then the meander I did elsewhere.  One thing this did was to truly emphasize that area and a second key was to add an extra graphic in the corners that I hoped would help the eye travel over the quilt in its entirety.



I was so pleased with how this quilt came out that I wanted to try my hand on another quilt for the expectant parents.  I opted to do something slightly simpler in composition and really focus on texture.   So I chose two soft flannels, felt, and more of the very fun robot fleece and got to the drawing board.  And boy did I have fun.
Dingus was perhaps less impressed!
.... lets just hope that a certain special little boy will like his quilts when he enters the world with a Rowr!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Messages are moderated by Christine and Dingus (when he is not barking at the neighbors shenanigans that is)