Friday, December 24, 2010

A Proposal

December 2006 found Patrick and I in SD visiting his family.  As most of you might know, my MIL Fay is the person who introduced me to quilting and has been a wonderful mentor and source of inspiration.  Well, in Dec. 2006 during that visit Fay showed be how to make a flannel quilt where you basically quilted as you went along.   The end result is a quilt that is ever so cuddly and warm. (Instructions can be found here  for the general idea if not pattern of my quilt).

Anyway, on December 27th Patrick and his sister Cassandra decided they were going to go to Panera Bread to get some work done (both college professors) and I and Fay were going to stay at the house to work on the quilt.  WELL, the sneaky devil decided that while they were out he'd take Cassandra with him as he went to get me an engagement ring (squee!!).

So picture this with me. I'm set up sewing at Fay's machine. I'm wearing sweat pants and a t shirt and my hair is a mess, and Patrick comes in sooner then I expected and asks me to marry him without any preamble. Now Patrick and I had been together for sometime now so I thought he was speaking in a more general way. I don't look up from sewing and said 'sure' (sure?).

 Patrick, somewhat with his thunder lost and somewhat amused by me.  Told me to look over and down. ....
I did and (!!!)
...he had a beautiful ring out and he was ACTUALLY asking me and not being rhetorical!


Thus I did stop sewing :) Said yes of course. Admonished him for not asking me in more of a romantic manner. And 4 years later a couple of days before our 'engagement-versity' I am more in love with him than ever before.






maybe I should have fixed that corner before I photoed this...


PLUS I have this wonderful flannel quilt (which i did finish) that I think of our engagement every time I look at it. IF there is a fire in the house, you can be sure I'll be grabbing that one as I flee.

1 comment:

  1. Guess which photo is with the macbook and not the fancy camera?

    Probably the warmest, and most easily constructed quilt we have too, along with the good memories.

    ReplyDelete

Messages are moderated by Christine and Dingus (when he is not barking at the neighbors shenanigans that is)